Aam for the aam aadmi and aam aurat: (and for the not so aam also of course)
MANGO SPINACH SURPRISE
During mango season, everywhere we go we can see piles of bright yellow, red and green fruits lying in big heaps. Be it in super markets, in fruit shops or on road sides. Who can resist their lure? They are like sirens giving out a delicious scent, asking us to bite into them.….and when we do eat them, just one bite is enough to hook us for life. I love them, and wait the whole year around just for the few months when this fruit is available. They are full of goodness and I am sure you will enjoy this recipe. It’s the best way to get your child to eat his spinach! I wish it could be mango season all year around!
- 1 ripe mango
- 1 cucumber
- 5 to 7 spinach leaves
- 1 tsp flax seeds
- 3 to 5 ice cubes
- Water to dilute (optional)
- 1 to 2 tsp date syrup (optional)
- Wash, peel and deseed the mango. Chop into small pieces and place in a smoothie maker.
- Wash the cucumber, chop off the two ends and cut into 1” sized cubes. Add to the smoothie maker.
- Wash the spinach leaves, break roughly with your hand and add it to the rest of the ingredients.
- Roast the flax seeds, crush them using a mortar and pestle and keep aside.
- Add the ice cubes to the smoothie maker and blend on low for a few seconds, till the ingredients are well mixed.
- Taste and add the date syrup if the mango was not sweet enough. You can also dilute the smoothie with some water if the consistency is too thick for you.
- Stir in the powdered flax seeds and serve.