Brown rice on my plate, tra la la la la
CORIANDER SPINACH BROWN RICE
People who have lifestyle induced diabetes need to minimize the glycemic load, or rate of blood sugar increase, of their diet. The rate at which carbohydrates are digested into sugars that enter the bloodstream is known as the glycemic index. Switch from white rice (way too high a glycemic index), to brown rice (nice low glycemic index). Here’s a recipe by the lovely Yaana Gupta from my book. The Vegan Kitchen; Bollywood Style!
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 cup chopped baby spinach
- 1 cup chopped coriander leaves
- Wash the rice and drain.
- Put the rice in a large pan with the salt and 2 cups of hot water. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to moderate-low, cover partially and simmer, till the rice is almost cooked.
- While the rice is cooking, boil the spinach for 2 minutes, drain, wash, chop and keep aside.
- Drain out any water that may be left in the pan and return the rice to the pan.
- Add the boiled, chopped spinach and raw coriander leaves to the rice and mix well.
- Cover the pan and place it on a tava or griddle over very low heat. Put a heavy weight on the lid and cook for a few minutes, till the rice is tender and fluffy. (Be careful that the rice does not burn at the bottom.)
- Taste and add more salt, if required.
- Serve hot with a curry of your choice.